Mastodon for iPhone and iPad
Developed by Mastodon
Decentralized social network
Mastodon for iPhone and iPad is a social networking app, developed by Mastodon, available on iOS and Android since its release in July 2021. The updated version 2024.1 is now available to download, compatible with iOS 16.0+ and Android 10+. Before downloading this app, let's quickly review what Mastodon for iPhone and iPad has to offer.
About Mastodon for iPhone and iPad
Mastodon is the largest decentralized social network on the internet. Instead of a single website, it’s a network of millions of users in independent communities that can all interact with one another, seamlessly. No matter what you’re into, you can meet passionate people posting about it on Mastodon!
Join a community and create your profile. Find and and follow fascinating folks and read their posts in an ad-free, chronological timeline. Express yourself with custom emoji, images, GIFs, videos, and audio in 500-character posts. Reply to threads and reblog posts from anyone to share great stuff. Find new accounts to follow and trending hashtags to expand your network.
Mastodon is built with a focus on privacy and safety. Decide whether your posts are shared with your followers, just the people you mention, or the whole world. Content warnings let you hide posts containing sensitive or triggering material until you're ready to engage with them. Each community has its own guidelines and moderators to keep its members safe, and robust blocking and reporting tools help prevent abuse.
• Dark Mode: Read posts in light, dark, or true black mode
• Polls: Ask followers for their opinion and tally the votes
• Explore: Trending hashtags and accounts are a tap away
• Notifications: Get notified about new follows, replies, and reblogs
• Sharing: Post directly to Mastodon from any share sheet in any app
• Cuteness: Our mascot is an adorable elephant, and you'll see them pop up from time to time
Mastodon is a registered nonprofit and development is supported directly by your donations. There’s no advertising, no monetization, and no venture capital, and we plan to keep it that way.
What's new in version 2024.1
This is a first!
Hello and welcome to the first release of Mastodon for iOS in 2024. We've worked hard, searched (and found and fixed) bugs and looked for other improvements. And we increased the speed, otherwise this wouldn't be the first release, right? Still, it comes with a truckload of stuff:
- Say hello to my little friend: Domain blocks! You're really annoyed by a bunch of people from the very same instance? Well, instead of blocking them individually, you can block the entire instance now, right from the app. To do so, head to the profile of that person as if you wanted to block them but block the domain. Now you can rest in peace and by resting in peace I mean enjoying Mastodon more than ever, of course! (IOS-5)
- We made some huge progress in our long-term project: Performance Improvements. Using the app should be significantly faster now, as we reworked the Status-handling throughout the entire app. (GH-1167, GH-1210, IOS-214)
- Speaking of speed: We reduced the amount of Network-requests sent to your Mastodon-instance when you scroll the Home-timeline. And we also don't fetch data anymore we don't need in the Status-menu. Why downloading stuff you don't need, right? Instead the app now fetches the data for the menu, when you need them. (GH-1214, GH-1213)
- You know, that you can edit your statuses afterwards, right? This comes in super handy when you fidn a tpyo in a status, for example. What you couldn't edit were image descriptions, also known as alt text. Well, now you can. This will also be super useful as it means that you can — and should! — add descriptions to images later, if you forgot that in the first place. (GH-1138)
- We fixed a bug that the app didn't respect the post-length defined on your server. (GH-1049)
- When we improved the credentials-handling in 2023.14, we forgot to make the Widgets use the new code. As a consequence the Wdgets couldn't login into your account which means that you couldn't use the Widgets. Sorry! (GH-1201)
- Search also got a little better: We fixed an endless loop when something went wrong. (GH-1188)
- Last but not least, we fixed a nasty bug that one offline account affected other accounts. In other words: If you have multiple accounts in the app with one being a suspended or expired account, this prevented the other accounts from being used, too. We cut the ties here. (GH-1178)
That's it! This is all the 2024.1-release of Mastodon contains. We didn't hide any other things like secret bug fixes or various improvements in there. Maybe we should declare it organic software?
Anyway, thank you for reading these hand-crafted release notes. And, of course: Thank you for using Mastodon!
Download the Mastodon for iPhone and iPad App
Mastodon for iPhone and iPad has an IPA/APK download size of 55 MB on its latest version. Mastodon for iPhone and iPad is FREE to download. Ready to install? Ensure you have at least 66 MB of storage space available, then tap the button or scan the QR code below to start the download process!
Ranking history in United States
- iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro, 15 Pro Max
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- Old devices: iPhone X/SE/8/7/6
- iPad Pro
- iPad Mini
What Client’s Say
Review: Explore Tab Awful
The app itself is good but the explore tab is awful especially for single user instances who won’t have...
Updated today. Now it crashes. Can’t even open the app now. Edit: fixed. Works well now thanks!
Review: What happened to pinned toots?
Great app but I’ve noticed that pinned toots no longer show up on the app but they’re still...
By Kana Mauna
I haven’t been here long enough to really criticize this app. That being said, I have recently tried out...
Review: There should be an option for this
There should be an option to change the name of my @ like not the “mastodon.social” thing but the actual...