Take back your web browser
StopTheMadness is a Safari extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn't stop autoplay. You can also stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app.
• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don't normally support it!
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, DuckDuckGo, IMDb, Instagram, Quora, Reddit, and Tumblr!
• Custom URL redirects! Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want!
• Stop keyboard page zoom. Stops the page from zooming in when you show the software keyboard!
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force external links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force external links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you're scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters!
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
StopTheMadness Mobile is a app developed by Jeff Johnson and released for iOS and Android in September 2021. You can download the app on iOS 15.0 and later on the following devices: iPhone 13 Pro Max, 12 Pro, X, SE, iPhone 8, 7, iPad Pro, and iPad Mini.
What's new in version 7.0
Stop autoplaying videos improvements: • Stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many websites! • YouTube ads automatically fast-forwarded! • Removes MP4 posters from videos in Safari, because posters can autoplay too. Show video controls improvements: • You can move the "Show video controls" switch to the top of the popup for quick access! • Shows "Skip Ad" button on YouTube when available. • Loop videos are excluded from "Show video controls" by default, because background videos can take over the page. A new website option "Include loops" lets you include loop videos. • Improved compatibility on cnn.com and iphoneincanada.com Other improvements: • New "Stop keyboard page zoom" website option. Stop the page from zooming in when you open the software keyboard! • quora.com added to "Hide some app banners". The quora login prompt is hidden too! • Bypass AMP "links and viewer" bypasses the AMP viewer only if there's a single iframe on the page. This should stop some unexpected redirects while browsing Google search results. • "Stop link trackers" removes the __cft__, __tn__, and _fb_noscript URL parameters.
Download StopTheMadness Mobile App for iOS/Android Now
You can quickly download StopTheMadness Mobile iPhone/iPad and Android app by clicking the download buttons or scanning the QR code below.
App Rating & Ranking
StopTheMadness Mobile Add-Ons
The app is $7.99, and offers no in-app purchases.