The New Lakota Dictionary (NLD) Mobile App is the best way to look up Lakota words, hear pronunciation, and view thousands of example sentences while on the go. It’s the ultimate electronic Lakota learning and reference tool.
• 27,000 entries
• 53,000 sentences
• Male and female voices for audio
• Consistent phonemic spelling – Standard Lakota Orthography
• Superior cross-referencing capabilities
• Faster and more responsive than online versions
• Works offline, without active data connection
• Built-In lemmatizer searches for conjugated verbs and word forms
• Over 400 native speakers involved in its development and review
• Regularly updated
• Accurate and reliable
• Fun to use and explore
• An excellent self-study investment
The lemmatizer is one of the biggest advantages of the app when compared to the printed version of the NLD. Lakota is a highly agglutinating language. Affixes are added to words all the time, so unless you know the stem of the word with affixes, you won’t be able to find it in the dictionary. The app does that for you. If you type in e.g. waŋwíčhablake the app will show you the entry waŋyáŋkA.
What's new in version 2.0
Updated version number to 2.0. More than 3,500 additional recordings have been added to the database along with many added and revised entries.
About New Lakota Dictionary - Mobile
New Lakota Dictionary - Mobile is an application developed by Lakota Language Consortium and released on iOS. The app is compatible with iOS 9.0 or later on the following devices: iPhone 11 Pro, X, Xs, SE, iPhone 8, 7, 6, iPad Pro and iPad Mini.
Click the button or scan the QR code below to download New Lakota Dictionary for iOS. Check out our downloads section to download New Lakota Dictionary for android and other platforms.
App Rating & Updates
New Lakota Dictionary Add-Ons
The app is $0.99 and offers no in-app purchases.