DictionaryUniversal App – Optimized for iPhone and iPad.
Published by: Farlex, Inc.
$15.90Track this app for price drops.
- Current Version 5.1
- Size 8.45 MB
- Released Apr 30, 2012
- Age 4+
- User Ratings 4.50 (5 votes)
Dictionary Pro is the popular app by The Free Dictionary with 2 big upgrades: More offline content and no ads! Here's what you get with Pro:
100% ad-free content
Expanded offline English dictionary
Offline translations from English to 40+ languages
14 offline dictionaries, including:
Dictionary Pro makes it easy to access offline content: just switch to offline mode in the menu, download only the offline content you want, and use it anytime.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 85 countries 2011–2015 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Also included—The Free Dictionary's classic app content:
* 1.3 million definitions from the most trusted sources, including Webster's Dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, The American Heritage Dictionary, and more than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
* Extensive definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Browse multiple Thesaurus sources, featuring synonyms, antonyms, related words, and images.
* Learn something new every day with Word of the Day and other daily articles.
* Check your spelling, improve your vocabulary, and learn common misspellings.
* Listen to 280,000+ audio pronunciations, including both American and British pronunciations.
* Search specialty dictionaries, including:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Access multiple encyclopedias, including Columbia, Collins, even Wikipedia.
* Search online dictionaries in Spanish, French, and 12 other languages.
* Translate English words into more than 40 languages, plus dozens of other translation options.
* Save unlimited bookmarks and sync them to all your devices.
* Use native voice search to look up a word just by saying it. (With supported devices)
* See search suggestions as you type and always find what you're looking for.
* Play word games, including Spelling Bee, Match Up, WordHub, and Words Within Words, plus Hangman in a dozen different languages.
* Track your learning and earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by looking up words and playing word games!
* Advanced Search options, including "Starts with," "Ends with," and "In definition."
* Standard and IPA pronunciation keys.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Look up any word on the page by highlighting it and tapping "Definition."
* Search for words on the page.
* Customize your homepage: add or remove articles, games, even horoscope and local weather in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Share your favorite words via social networks, email, and text.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
What's new in version 5.1
* Bug fixes, including zooming issue on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. * If you like The Free Dictionary app, please rate it 5 stars in the App Store! We read every single review we receive, but unfortunately the App Store does not give us the ability to respond. If you have any problems or questions, please use the "Feedback" option in the settings menu to email support[at]tfd.com. You'll be amazed how quickly we reply!
Latest App Activity
All App Activity and Price Drops »
Dictionary is a universal app, and is available on the iTunes App Store for $3.99 (Ads free) with no in-app purchases. The app is compatible with all devices running iOS 9.0 or later, including the new iPhone 6 and iPad Mini. To download the Dictionary app, just scan the QR code with your device or click the button below to go to the app's download page.
Excellent UI. The best UI I've found relative to other dictionary apps, particularly in the ease of accessing and navigating through the
bookmarks. The back buttons to scroll between words are very effective. I appreciate how intuitive this is.
This app is totally Awesome!!!. This dictionary app, helps me out a lot with my reading and trying to figure out the meaning of different and hard words, I
usually never even heard of before.
MOST USEFUL DICTIONARY WITH PRONUNCIATION. I use this app every day to build up my English vocabulary and I particularly LOVE pronunciation option.
PLEASE UPDATE THE UP, SO WE CAN USE IT IN MULTITASKING IN IPAD PRO by opening 2 windows side by side. It would be a great help in
Know what it means!. Great app! 🇺🇸/🇹🇯 English & Spanish with the meaning written in Spanish too.
It's informative & fun. You can touch the speaker icon & the word is properly pronounced for you. Luv it!
Dictionary PRO. I have not had a chance to use it much, but of the few times I've used it found it to be a great app!!
If you've enjoyed this app, rate and review it on the App store and in the comments section below.
The Verdict: Average!
Share this Review
This review of Dictionary was written by Carol Swift
To find and download the latest version of Dictionary, click on the Download button. You can get it directly to your device, or you can download it to your computer (PC or Mac) and then transfer it to your device.