• Near real-time location information (next stop, current stop, GPS location, predicted arrival time, and vehicle speed). Please see the note below regarding accuracy.
• Boarding statuses with the track number displayed next to each trip, as well as a dedicated "Departures" view to see the entire departures board.
• "Late" status when the MBTA predicts that a train will arrive later than the scheduled time - even before a delay announcement is made.
• View historical boarding data for trips originating at North or South station. Are you one of those people who like to guess the track and board early? Do so with a little bit more confidence now.
• Passenger reports, a forum for riders to comment on their train. Is a prediction wrong? Train delayed mid-trip? Wondering if your train is standing room only? Discuss through the "Reports" button next to each trip.
• Full schedule view for each trip with predicted arrival times.
• View your train on a map, complete with rail line overlays and stop markers.
• Service alerts view.
• Easy access to the @MBTA_CR Twitter account where status updates and additional info is usually posted in the event of a delay.
• Clean, user-friendly interface.
- How accurate is this app?
Data is sourced directly from the MBTA's real-time feeds which is collected using PTIS equipment installed on the trains. We don't make any predictions ourselves; this app is simply a UI sitting on top of the MBTA's data. That said, their data is accurate enough to give you a general idea of the status of your train but not accurate enough to set your watch by.
For example, trains generally report themselves as on time with a predicted arrival/departure time equal to the scheduled arrival/departure time so long as the train is less than 5 minutes late (the "5 minute rule"). Furthermore, if a train is delayed mid-trip it can take up to 15 minutes for the delay to propagate through the feeds. Lastly, the MBTA's data tends to operate on a 1-2 minute delay; in fact, updated GPS locations only come through in the feeds once every couple minutes.
This app is not affiliated with the MBTA or MassDOT. Follow us on Twitter at @MBTARailTracker for updates.
What's new in version 1.11.0
Rank in top paid apps
The MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker app game is now available for $0.99 on iOS. The application is compatible with iOS 8.0 or later on the following devices: iPhone 6, iPad 3, iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5G or newer.
Download MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker and use it on your iPhone or iPad (See button below). If you have an Android or Windows device, you can find links to download this app here.
Developer site: Support
MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker Has Add-OnsNo add-ons has been found...
Reviews (See all reviews)
This app rocks
Perfect App for Real-Time Commuter Rail Updates
Finally someone has done it right!
Why does it keep updating?
Lots of well organized info