MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker provides experienced Boston commuters with as much information as possible about the location and status of their trains. This app is designed for seasoned commuters who are already familiar with their line schedule.
• Near real-time location information (next stop, current stop, GPS location, predicted arrival time, and vehicle speed). Please see the note below regarding accuracy.
• Boarding statuses with the track number displayed next to each trip, as well as a dedicated "Departures" view to see the entire departures board.
• "Late" status when the MBTA predicts that a train will arrive later than the scheduled time - even before a delay announcement is made.
• View historical boarding data for trips originating at North or South station. Are you one of those people who like to guess the track and board early? Do so with a little bit more confidence now.
• Passenger reports, a forum for riders to comment on their train. Is a prediction wrong? Train delayed mid-trip? Wondering if your train is standing room only? Discuss through the "Reports" button next to each trip.
• Full schedule view for each trip with predicted arrival times.
• View your train on a map, complete with rail line overlays and stop markers.
• Service alerts view.
• Easy access to the @MBTA_CR Twitter account where status updates and additional info is usually posted in the event of a delay.
• Clean, user-friendly interface.
--- How accurate is this app? ---
Data is sourced directly from the MBTA's real-time feeds which is collected using PTIS equipment installed on the trains. We don't make any predictions ourselves; this app is simply a UI sitting on top of the MBTA's data. That said, their data is accurate enough to give you a general idea of the status of your train but not accurate enough to set your watch by.
For example, trains generally report themselves as on time with a predicted arrival/departure time equal to the scheduled arrival/departure time so long as the train is less than 5 minutes late (the "5 minute rule"). Furthermore, if a train is delayed mid-trip it can take up to 15 minutes for the delay to propagate through the feeds. Lastly, the MBTA's data tends to operate on a 1-2 minute delay; in fact, updated GPS locations only come through in the feeds once every couple minutes.
This app is not affiliated with the MBTA or MassDOT. Follow us on Twitter at @MBTARailTracker for updates.
What's new in version 1.10.0
Rank in top paid apps
MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker requires iOS version 8.0 or later on the following device models: iPhone 6 ,iPhone 5 ,iPad 3 ,iPad Mini and iPod Touch 5G or newer.
Click the button below to download it from the iTunes store using your iPhone or visit the app's download page for android and other platforms.
Developer site: MBTA Commuter Rail Tracker support
Recent Reviews (See app reviews)
Must Have. The amount of detail provided to commuters is invaluable. Real time map, arrival predictions, and passenger reports provide more
Lots of well organized info. Lots of detailed information organize in an easy to use manner.
A lifesaver. My train is *always* late, so I really need this app. It is way more precise than the MBTA's text...
Saves me everyday!. Simple to use for daily use. Wouldn't use as a tourist.
Life changing. My train used to have delays all the time but since getting this app it's never been late or had...